Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop


Welcome to the NEXT BIG THING Blog Hop.

What is a blog hop? Basically, it’s a way for readers to discover authors new to them. I hope you'll find new-to-you authors whose works you enjoy. On this stop on the blog hop, you'll find a bit of information on me and one of my books and links to five other authors you can explore!

My Next Big Thing is:

 
    The Wishing Well Curse. 
 
    Zeke Clay has lost everything: his apartment, his education, his girlfriend, and his job. When a mysterious letter comes from a law firm in Colorado, things just might be looking up...but the fortune he stands to inherit comes with a price. He must break a family curse and restore true love. To do that, Zeke must piece together clues left by his dearly departed, and determine if there's anyone he can truly trust—including himself.






 
 
This Gothic Paranormal, Mystery/Romance is scheduled for release in May 2013.


My gratitude to fellow author, J. L. Mbewe, for inviting me to participate in this event. You can click the following links to learn more about Jennette and her books.






In this blog hop, my fellow authors and I, in our respective blogs, have answered ten questions about our current book or work-in-progress (giving you a sneak peek). We've also included some behind-the-scenes information about how and why we write what we write--the characters, inspirations, plotting and other choices we make. I hope you enjoy it!

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions. Here is my Next Big Thing!

1: What is the working title of your book?
 
The Wishing Well Curse

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?
 
Twenty years ago, I was listening the "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot.  
The lyric that says,
 
   "Just like an old time movie,
   about a ghost from a wishing well,
   in a castle dark or a fortress strong,
   with chains upon my feet..."
 
sparked an idea, about a guy who inherits a mansion, with ghosts, and problems to resolve. The idea sat dormant in my brain until last year when I started sketching it out.
 
3: What genre does your book come under?
 
Christian Fiction, first. Gothic Paranormal, Mystery/Romance.  That's a mouth full, it's an in depth story and really needs all those descriptors.  *smile*

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
 
Wow. That's a good question. 

A younger Jason Stathom as Zeke Clay



Michelle Trachtenberg as one of
the ghosts, Rosa Lehman









 
Zac Efron as Clifford Valdez















5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
 
Zeke Clay could inherited a fortune, if he can break a family curse, but what about the two ghosts.
 
6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

AltWitPress is publishing this book.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

 2 months.

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Honestly, it reminds me of "Bag of Bones" by Steven King. I've been told it reminded another beta reader of "The Ghost Whisperer."

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I have a dear friend, Georgia Bond, whom I've known for 30 years. She is a voracious reader, and inspired me to write. It took me all this time to get into a season of my life where I could. I thank God for that.

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

1. My oldest son, Trent, was my muse for the main character. He has shaved his head since he was about 20 years old (hiding bald spots, I think) and got the crown-of-thorns tattoo when he was 18 (Surprise mom!). He currently lives in the Austin, TX area. Where Zeke's story begins. All these attributes, inspired the character Zeke Clay.

2. Personal destiny is difficult to accept and even more difficult to achieve, when we try to go it alone. This is an adventure of one man's journey to discover who he is and how everything in life works together to prepare us for destiny and lead us to the place where we are supposed to be. No matter how difficult it is to get there.




Happy Writing and Reading!

Since so many authors I know have already participated, I have posted links below to their posts for you to check out. You might find a new favorite. :-) And if you happen to have a favorite “The Next Big Thing”, please feel free to share a link in the comment section. Thanks!

Morgan Busse
Anne Elisabeth Stengl
R. J. Larson
Jill Williamson
Pauline Creeden
C. L. Dyck
Kat Heckenbach
Kessie Carroll
Aaron DeMott
Laura Ritchie

3 comments: